Haryana State Board HBSE 10th Class Social Science Notes Civics Chapter 8 Challenges to Democracy Notes
Haryana Board 10th Class Social Science Notes Civics Chapter 8 Challenges to Democracy
- In this chapter, we shall discuss the challenges that democracy faces in our country and elsewhere.
Challenges To Democracy Class 10 Notes HBSE
→ Thinking about Challenges
- Most of established democracies face many serious challenges all over the world.
- Democracy is the dominant form of government in the contemporary world.
- A challenge is a difficulty that carries within it an opportunity for progress.
- At least one-fourth of the globe is still not under a democratic government.
- These countries face the foundational challenge of making the transition to democracy.
- Most of established democracies face the challenge of expansion.
- The challenge of strengthening of democracy is faced by every democracy, in one form or another.
→ Different Contexts, Different Challenges
- Various challenges in democracy have been observed such as-foundational, the expansion and strengthening of democracy.
- These challenges have different contexts.
Class 10 Civics Chapter 8 Notes HBSE
→ Different Types of Challenges
- Some spheres or sites of democratic politics are- constitutional design, democratic rights, working of institutions, elections, federalism, decentralization, accommodation of diversity and political organizations, etc.
→ Thinking about Political Reforms
- Democratic reforms are to be carried out mainly by political activists, parties, movements and politically conscious citizens.
- The Right to Information Act is a law that helps to control corruption and supplements the existing laws that banned corruption and imposed strict penalties.
- The most important concern should be to increase and improve the quality of political participation by ordinary citizens.
→ Redefining Democracy
- Democracy is a form of government, in which the rulers are elected by the people.
- We shall want to add some qualifications in the definition of democracy such as:
(i) The rulers elected by the citizens of country must take all the main decisions.
(ii) Elections must offer a choice and fair opportunity to the citizens of the country to change the current rulers.
(iii) This choice and opportunity should be available to all the citizens of the country on an equal basis.
(iv) The exercise of this choice must lead to a government limited by basic rules of the Constitution and citizens’ rights.
Chapter 8 Challenges to Democracy HBSE 10th Class Civics
→ Important Terms
1. Challenge: A challenge is a difficulty that carries within it an opportunity for progress.
2. Challenges to Democracy: This means various problems that come while ensuring a democratic setup in a country.
3. Globe: The model of the earth is known as globe.
4. Democratic Reforms: All the suggestions or proposals about overcoming various challenges towards democracy are called ‘democratic reforms’ or ‘political reforms.